ARP problem race condition

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ARP problem race condition
From: Kyle Sparger <ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:26:56 -0500 (EST)
Well,

I've found an interesting, but not totally unexpected race condition
under DR in 2.2.x that I've managed to create when installing VIP's on a
machine in DR mode, and I figured I'd stick it on the list in case someone
else runs into it later.

Basically, the cause is this:

ifconfig dummy0 10.0.1.15
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/dummy0/hidden

You'll notice that there's going to be a small gap between the two which
allows an ARP request to come in, and for the server to reply.  And yes,
it is big enough to be bitten by -- I've been bitten twice by it so far :)

The question then is, how do I solve it?

Try changing the order to this:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/default/hidden
ifconfig dummy0 10.0.1.15
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/default/hidden

That way, it defaults to being hidden when it's first created.

Another possible method would be to configure dummy0 with a bogus IP
address, then set the hidden flag, but I think I prefer the first method.

Anybody else experience this problems and have other ways to address the
problem?

Thanks,

Kyle Sparger - Senior System Administrator
ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - http://www.dialtoneinternet.net
Voice - (954) 581-0097 x 122
"Forget college, I'm going pro."