Re: Help with DR

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Help with DR
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:00:57 +0100
Hi Ben,

Ben wrote:

> Hi,
>   I was wondering if anyone knew of a good, complete tutorial for getting DR
> to work, I tried the one on the LVS website and my only result is that load
> balanced connections time out when called.

I'm sorry to hear this. This means that we still have to improve
it a little bit more. But in order to do this I need a lot more
information. I thought that the manual was detailed enough, but ...

> Is there anything 'weird' I have to do on the director or the clustered
> servers

Besides handling the arp-problem and the correct routing I never
had to do anything else. With your little information it could be:

o not handled the arp problem
o trying to connect from inside the cluster
o routing wrong
o application is not setup correctly (e.g. your loadbalancing mail,
  you maybe need to set some additional stuff in the config file)
o you're running some ident protocol that isn't loadbalanced.
o the director is not setup correctly

> Director:(slackware 7.1)
> eth0 primary IP: 192.168.0.2
> eth0:0 LVS IP     : 192.168.0.10
>
> web1 (freebsd 4.2)
> xl0:(ip) 192.168.0.3
> lo:(alias IP) 192.168.0.10
>
> web2: (slackware 7.1)
> eth0 : (ip) 192.168.0.4
> lo:0 (alias ip) 192.168.0.10

You have to submit more information. It could be everything right
now. To give you the correct hint to get it working I'd be happy
if you could fill out following bugreport (Will be in the new howto):

1. System information, such as kernel, used tools and their versions.
   Example:

        hog:~ # uname -a
        Linux hog 2.2.18 #2 Sun Dec 24 15:27:49 CET 2000 i686 unknown

        hog:~ # ipvsadm -L -n | head -1

        hog:~ # ipvsadm -h | head -1
        ipvsadm v1.13 2000/12/17 (compiled with popt and IPVS v1.0.2)
        hog:~ #

2. Short description and maybe sketch of what you intended to setup.
   Example (LVS-DR):

        o Using LVS-DR, gatewaying method.
        o Load balancing port 80 (http) non-persistent.
        o Network Setup:

                        ________
                       |        |
                       | client |
                       |________|
                           | CIP

                        (router)

                           | GEP
                 (packetfilter, firewall)
                           | GIP
                           |
                           |       __________
                           |  DIP |          |
                           +------+ director |
                           |  VIP |__________|

         +-----------------+----------------+
         |                 |                |
         |                 |                |
     RIP1, VIP         RIP2, VIP        RIP3, VIP
    ____________      ____________    ____________
   |            |    |            |  |            |
   |real-server1|    |real-server2|  |real-server3|
   |____________|    |____________|  |____________|

        CIP  = 212.23.34.83
        GEP  = 81.23.10.2       (external gateway, eth0)
        GIP  = 192.168.1.1      (internal gateway, eth1, masq or NAT)
        DIP  = 192.168.1.2      (eth0)
        VIP1 = 192.168.1.100    (eth0:4 on director, lo:1 on realserver)
        RIP1 = 192.168.1.11     (belonging to VIP1)
        RIP2 = 192.168.1.12     (belonging to VIP1)
        RIP3 = 192.168.1.13     (belonging to VIP1)
        DGW  = 192.168.1.1      (GIP for all realserver)

        o ipvsadm -L -n

hog:~ # ipvsadm -L -n
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port          Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  192.168.1.10:80 wlc
  -> 192.168.1.13:80             Route   0      0          0
  -> 192.168.1.12:80             Route   0      0          0
  -> 192.168.1.11:80             Route   0      0          0
hog:~ #

3. What doesn't work. Show some output like tcpdump, ipchains, ipvsadm and
   kernlog. Maybe we even ask you for a more detailed configuration like
   routing table, OS-version or interface setup on some machines used in your
   setup. Tell us what you expected. Example:

        o ipchains -L -M -n

        o echo 9 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/vs/debug_level && tail -f /var/log/kernlog
        o tcpdump -n -e -i eth0 tcp port 80

        o route -n

        o netstat -an

        o ifconfig -a

4. Will will then tell you, that your setup is wrong. (All weights are set to 0)

> PS, does anyone have any experience with old CLARiiON disk arrays, GFS or
> Veritas?

GFS a little and some Veritas too, but just ask the questions, if they
are not too OT, you surely get a response, since this is a HA-related
newsgroup and there are often discussions about filesystem replication.

HTH and best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz

--
mailto: `echo NrOatSz@xxxxxxxxx | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`