Re: ip_vs & NAT

To: "John P . Looney" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ip_vs & NAT
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 14:31:37 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, John P . Looney wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 01:03:52AM +0000, Julian Anastasov mentioned:
> > >  It works fine. External apps can get to these machines. However,
> > > the router and the two machines above can't get to 172.24.51.6:mysql - the
> > > connection hangs. Like wise for apache. The machines are all on a switch -
> > > not a hub, if that matters.
> >     The clients can't run in the director. If they run in NAT-ed
> > real servers then they can't work. Only for DR and TUN method you
> > can run clients in the real servers but they connect to the local host
> > and not to the director.
>
>  So, I can't run monitoring software on the director machine, to connect
> to the Virtual Services ?

        Not possible. But if you use direct routing you can run the
client on another host that is not real server. This is for service
checks directly checking the virtual service. You still can run
service checks for NAT setups that connect to the real services, i.e.
to RIP:RPORT instead of VIP:VPORT. Virtual services with NAT-ed
real services are still possible to check when the client is on
different logical network and when the route to the internal
real server addresses points to the director (the client can't
connect directly to the real server for NAT setups, the director needs
to NAT the addresses in both directions). So, again not from real server.

>  I tryed this;
>
>     I setup some new virtual IPs, and used directo routing. It didn't work
> either - I saw the same problem, where the clients were sending out
> traffic, and ipvsadm said that the connections were made, but "inactive".

        No, it is not working in theory.

>  Is there any sort of debug mode I can put ip_vs into, so it logs all
> connection attempts ?

        The syslog debugging is enabled setting 111 to
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/vs/debug_level when CONFIG_IP_VS_DEBUG is defined.

> John

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>