Hot Spare config with LVS?

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Hot Spare config with LVS?
From: "Mark Miller" <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 16:38:35 -0600
I'm currently helping out with a new LVS/netfilter deployment.  We want a
configuration where two Solaris based web servers will be setup in a primary
and secondary configuration.  Rather than load balancing between the two we
really want the secondary to act as a hot spare for the primary.  So we want
to use LVS which is, by definition, a load balancer as more of a manager for
HA for a different OS - Solaris.  Obviously the cost advantages of two Linux
boxes and LVS over commercial (Alteon, Extreme Switches, Veritas, etc.)
products make it worth the trouble.  We also want use the LDs as Firewalls
for this project using netfilter.

So, the question I have is this:
Is there any combination of schedules and/or weight (0 perhaps?) values that
will allow for configuration of the 2 real servers to be setup with one as a
primary and one as a secondary server in hot-spare capacity.  Basically we
only want the secondary real server to process requests if the primary is
removed by mon from the ipvsadm table.  Once mon detects that the primary is
providing the services we want mon to add it back to the ipvsadm table and
requests to the secondary real server to cease.

Here is a quick diagram to help illustrate this question:

                  Internet              LD1&LD2 - Linux 2.4 kernel
                      |                 RS1&RS2 - Solaris
                   Router

               -------+-------
               |             |
             -----         -----
             |LD1|         |LD2|
             -----         -----
               |             |
               -------+-------

                    Switch

             |RS1|         |RS1|

I didn't go to the trouble of listing IPs since it not really relevant to
the question.  But feel free to make up bogus DIPs, VIPs, and RIPs if
explaining this with sample ipvsadm commands.

Thanks,
Mark