Re: Hot Spare config with LVS?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Hot Spare config with LVS?
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 12:51:22 +0200
On 2001-05-11T12:30:19,
   "Andreas J. Koenig" <andreas.koenig@xxxxxxxx> said:

> Could you elaborate a little on the difference between the two
> options? Is it so that removing a server from the table hangs the
> active connections? If so, it seems to me that setting the weight to 0
> is preferable?--Thanks for any insight on that!

Correct. weight = 0 means that no further connections will be assigned to the
machine, but current ones remain established. This allows to smoothly take a
real server out of service, ie for maintenance.

Removing the server hard cuts all active connections. This is the correct
response to a monitoring failure, so that clients receive immediate notice
that the server they are connected to died so they can reconnect.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl