Newbie - problems with DR & Red Hat 7.1

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Newbie - problems with DR & Red Hat 7.1
From: "Cristine Collins" <cristinew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 15:44:06 -0500
Hi -

First, please email me privately at cristinew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - our mail
server is in flux and responses to the list may or may not make it through
to me.

I have successfully setup a LVS DR test bed with Mandrake (kernel 2.2) just
recently.  I have one director, 2 web servers as real servers and one
client.  They are all on a stand-alone hubbed network.  In trying to add a
Red Hat 7.1 (kernel 2.4-2) real server (www) to the mix, I'm having loads of
trouble.

Config -

Director
  VIP x.x.x.4
  DIP x.x.x.11

1st web server - x.x.x.10
2nd web server - x.x.x.15
client - x.x.x.205

Adding the Red Hat box (web server)
x.x.x.16

When the RH box is rebooted, ipchains will reply to ipchains -L with no
problem.  After the rc.lvs_dr script is run (unsuccessfully at this point,
it can't ping the VIP during the script run, but will from the command
line), ipchains -L gives me "Incompatible with this kernel".

Questions I can think of --

1)  How do I tell whether or not the Red Hat people have already applied the
arp patch?

2) How do I tell whether the redirect arp method has already been applied?

3) How do I go about identifying the actual problem?  I didn't have any of
this behavior with 2.2 at all.

4) Why is ipchains' behavior changing so drastically just because of
rc.lvs_dr?

Thanks in advance-

Cristine

--

Cristine Collins
cristinew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side & a dark side, and it holds
the universe together.