Re: Newbie - problems with DR & Red Hat 7.1

To: Cristine Collins <cristinew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Newbie - problems with DR & Red Hat 7.1
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 00:29:49 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Cristine Collins wrote:

> Hi -
>
> First, please email me privately at cristinew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - our mail
> server is in flux and responses to the list may or may not make it through
> to me.
>
> I have successfully setup a LVS DR test bed with Mandrake (kernel 2.2) just
> recently.  I have one director, 2 web servers as real servers and one
> client.  They are all on a stand-alone hubbed network.  In trying to add a
> Red Hat 7.1 (kernel 2.4-2) real server (www) to the mix, I'm having loads of
> trouble.
>
> Config -
>
> Director
>   VIP x.x.x.4
>   DIP x.x.x.11
>
> 1st web server - x.x.x.10
> 2nd web server - x.x.x.15
> client - x.x.x.205
>
> Adding the Red Hat box (web server)
> x.x.x.16
>
> When the RH box is rebooted, ipchains will reply to ipchains -L with no
> problem.  After the rc.lvs_dr script is run (unsuccessfully at this point,
> it can't ping the VIP during the script run, but will from the command
> line), ipchains -L gives me "Incompatible with this kernel".

        ipchains is still supported in 2.4 but it is not compatible
with iptables. If in doubt, check the difference between ipchains and
iptables in http://netfilter.samba.org/

        You can still use ipchains for filtering and transparent proxy
as in 2.2 after selecting the ipchains compat mode before kernel
compilation. But don't go in NAT with ipchains. There are some
unsupported things.

> Questions I can think of --
>
> 1)  How do I tell whether or not the Red Hat people have already applied the
> arp patch?

        /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/hidden must exist

> 2) How do I tell whether the redirect arp method has already been applied?

        What exactly is that? The transparent proxy? ipchains -L.
It can work with iptables too. Joe performed some tests, I hope they are
already in the HOWTO.

> 3) How do I go about identifying the actual problem?  I didn't have any of
> this behavior with 2.2 at all.

        Check first the presense of all/hidden

> 4) Why is ipchains' behavior changing so drastically just because of
> rc.lvs_dr?

        I assume it is caused from the kernel change without ipchains
support but I don't know the rc.lvs_dr well.

> Thanks in advance-
>
> Cristine
>

> --
>
> Cristine Collins
> cristinew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side & a dark side, and it holds
> the universe together.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>