Re: hash table size

To: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: hash table size
Cc: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 07:00:03 -0400
Julian Anastasov wrote:

> > > For 17 bits:
> > >
> > > 2^17=131072 => 1MB for empty hash table
> > >
> > >         131072*16=2097152 entries=256MB for connections
> >

> > what happens after the table fills up? Does ipvs handle new connect
>
>         The table has fixed number of rows and unlimited number of
> columns (d-lists where the connection structures are enqueued). When
> the connections are allocated their number depends on the free memory.
>
> > requests gracefully (ie drops them and doesn't crash)? I understand
>
>         drop, no memory to allocate connection structure, expect
> crashes may be at another place (usually user space) :)

It would be nice if the director didn't crash when the number of connections
got large. Presumably a director would be functioning only as a director and the
amount of memory allocated to user space processes wouldn't change a whole lot
(ie you'd know how much memory it needed). Is there any way to limit the amount
of memory the ipvs table uses?