Re: Diskless LVS.

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Diskless LVS.
From: Greg Cope <gjjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 06:59:51 +0000
Bryan wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>  I have a question. A client of mine requires a highly scalable HA web
> server. The total volume of php scripts and html for the site are minimal ( <
> 2 MB ) I am considering proposing an lvs-dr setup where each node is
> diskless. The director would be diskfull and a hot-backup installed.  The
> nodes would boot off their NICs, download a kernel image and mount an NFS
> root filesystem off the director ( or another box if this load is too high ).
> The node then would create a 2 MB ramdrive and rsync the php files and htdocs
> to it. Then they would signal the director they are ready to be added to the
> load balancing pool and receive hits.
>
>  My question is: Is the ramdisk really necessary to acheive optimal
> performance/dollar spent considering Apache's inherent caching mechanisms?
> Secondly, diskless motherboards are seemingly very hard to find. In an ideal
> world I would find a 200 MHz FSB (dual would be amazing) Socket A with
> onboard 2 port bootable NIC and enough room for 1GB ram. Does such a beast
> exist out there? Or anything close?

Diskless MB's are just those without a Disk, No ?

A RAMDISK will increase stat speeds by an order of magnitude, Apache
will stat all PHP, HTML and gif's etc.... for each request.  If you've
got a nice OO design you would end up with loads of PHP files and hence
lots of stating.  This is a problem with PHP.  This is helped by PHP
cache which helps to avoid this

There must be, although this config is more expensive than a bog
standard MB.

Setting up a cluster such as this is complex, and I usually find that
time spent optimising the PHP, and any DB it access is time well spent.
If its successful I would then look at scalling to a nodes system.

Greg