Re: monitoring tools - ldirectord

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: monitoring tools - ldirectord
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:41:44 +0200
Hi Jacob,

This is a English speaking mailinglist, so please write in English.
Not everybody understands German, although Alois and me do :)

"Rief, Jacob" wrote:

> Hallo,
> dass untenstehend beschriebene ist ein wirklich spezielles
> Problem. Dafür gibt es eigentlich keine Lösung, ausser man
> baut den Teststring so auf, dass auf jedem Server eine
> Datenbankverbindung erzwungen wird.
> Gruß, Jacob

Jacob:"In my opinion there is no real solution to the problem
described by Alois unless you manage to write a health check
that checks all servers at once and forces them to connect to
the DB server"

I think there is a solution which is not too complex. It's
publicly referred to as end-to-end health check with event
generation. What you basically have are an event table an
action table and a severity table. The severity table
describes how important the service is and what kind of
event should be generated. For exmple: w3 is a http server
which is checked with a html-check. Because it is not so
mission critical, if it fails the severity is low and the
event generated is 'take out template VIP:RIP'. The action
table knows that 'take out template VIP:RIP' is associated
with 'ipvsadm -d ...'. Now for w1 we define an end-2-end
check for the db connectivity. This server is very mission
critical and therefore in the severity table it would be
'take out all RIPs of this service, namely the DBMS'. The
action would be 'ipvsadm -C' in Alois' case.

It sounds far more complex than it is to code :)

HTH and best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz

--
mailto: `echo NrOatSz@xxxxxxxxx | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`