Re: ICMP requests

To: Hayden Myers <hayden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ICMP requests
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 22:27:43 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Hayden Myers wrote:

> We've received complains of ICMP requests being sent out from some
> of the virtual farms on our lvs servers. Could somebody please explain how
> lvs could be doing this?  We received a complaint from a user who received
> a lot of ICMP requests from two different load balancers of ours.  Any
> explanation would be appreciated.

        No, LVS does not send ICMP requests!!! It sends only replies.

You can expect such ICMP replies originated from LVS:

- ICMP_FRAG_NEEDED: standard reply after MTU checks

- ICMP_PORT_UNREACH: when there is no real services defined or when
the real service does not work (the last depends on the used method
for deliveryng TCP/UDP requests locally)

        Additionally, LVS can forward any kind of ICMP replies and
requests in NAT mode, coming from the real servers or from NAT-ed
hosts. Just start tcpdump -n proto ICMP on your LVS director.

        To avoid the paranoia ask your user:

- how much packets he receives: the rate, the time periods between
the messages, when this happens: when he browses your site or when not.

- what kind of ICMP messages are received: requests, replies, ICMP type
and code

- the IP addresses involved in the ICMP information

> Hayden Myers

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>