Re: Multiple NICS - Real Servers

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Multiple NICS - Real Servers
From: Michael E Brown <michael_e_brown@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:33:48 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Joseph Mack wrote:

> Nael Mohammad wrote:
> >
> > That and the fact that each card requires it's own unique MAC address.
>

> for channel bonding both NICS on the host have the same IP and MAC address.
> You need to split the cabling for the two lots of NICs, so you don't have
> address collisions - you'll need two switches.

Depends on which kind of bonding you do. Fast Etherchannel depends on all
of the nics being connected to the same switch. You have to do configure
the switch for trunking. Most of the standardized trunking methods I have
seen require you to configure the switch and have all your nics connected
to the same switch.
--
Michael Brown
Linux OS Development