Re: LVS_NAT and ADSL

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS_NAT and ADSL
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 12:22:47 +0800 (CST)
On 17 Aug 2001, Eber de Castro Diniz wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I'm trying to setup LVS over ADSL following the instructions on the HOWTO and
> the mini-HOWTO, but it doesnt work. I have the following configuration:
>

> ADSL-MODEM(some valid ip)
> Director LinuxBox eth1(192.168.157.1)
>          LinuxBox eth0(192.168.1.1)
>          RealServer eth0(192.168.1.10)
>

> using the following commands
>
> ipvsadm -A -t somevalidip:60543 -s wrr
> ipvsadm -a -t somevalidip:60543 -R 192.168.1.10:60543 -m
>
> also, ipchains has the following rules:
> ipchains -A forward -j MASQ
> ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 0/0 -d 192.168.1.0/32 --dport 60543 -j ACCEPT
>
> When I try to connect from the realserver to the valid ip ipvsadm
> shows me that have 1 inactive connection, but when I try to connect

You cannot access the virtual service (somevalidip:60543 in your example)
from the real server or any host in the same network of real servers,
because the director needs change the source IP address (and port number)
of response packets to the somevalidip:60543. If the clients is in the
same network of real servers, then response packets from the real server
will be sent to the clients directly, and the director will not have
chance to rewrite the source address back. Thus, the connection is broken.

Regards,

Wensong