Clustering for a File Server and a Database Server

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Clustering for a File Server and a Database Server
From: "alpha1976@xxxxxxxxx" <alpha1976@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:23:17 +0200
I'm a student of Milan's University and I'd like to ask you some
information about how to deal with an academic project, which involves
a lot of problems.
I have to plan a very big and "important" server which should contain
and manage multimedia data, such as audio files, video files, images
and so on.
This server should work as a "fileserver" for a very important library
(that will probably be built in a couple of years in Milan) and should
be accessed from Internet too because users may access video files by
streaming technology. The documents stored there, will be "linked" to a
big and complex database system, which is contained in another server.

I know that is required a lot of disk space (because of the kind of
data that is stored) and I also know that a load balancing is needed.
It's also important to include backup sistems (such as tapes) to
preserve data and support for hard disks mirroring.

My idea is (for the File Server) the following: 1 master station and 5
cluster nodes with the same hardware.
Each node has 4 SCSI hard-disks (180 GB on each HD) configured with
RAID-5 technology (3HD for "real" storage and 1HD for parity storage).
My question is: can master station (in a LVS) recognize ALL the HD
placed on the nodes as a unique and big drive (the total size is abuot
2.5 TB)?
I need some special SCSI card or everything is managed by LVS software?

Thanks for your help!