Re: Clustering for a File Server and a Database Server

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Clustering for a File Server and a Database Server
From: Malcolm Cowe <malcolm_cowe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:17:17 +0100
You may want to consider a combination of cluster technologies to
accommodate your needs. For example, combine an LVS cluster with a high
availability option such as MC/ServiceGuard from Hewlett Packard
(http://www.hp.com) which is designed to provide fault tolerant access
by sharing a common disk system across multiple nodes in a cluster.
Mission Critical Linux have a similar product known as Convolo, as well
as an open source version called Kimberlite (http://www.mclx.com/ for
details).

In it's most basic form, you have two nodes which share an external disk
system via SCSI or Fibre Channel. One node exports half of the shared
disk, the second node exports the other half. Each node monitors the
other, and if node A dies, node B takes over all the tasks of node A as
well as continuing to provide its own. We use this topology here to
support our manufacturing data servers, and it is very successful.

Storage is only the first part of the equation, though. If you want to
load balance WWW access, then LVS is the tool for the job, no question.
The idea might be to use an LVS cluster as the interface to the storage,
creating a front-back model for your application. Clients access the
data by connecting to the LVS virtual IP, with each node having equal
access to your data storage cluster.

Another option would be to use a shared storage pool file system on an
LVS cluster, by deploying GFS (Global file system,
http://www.sistina.com/products_gfs.htm), or Intermezzo
(http://inter-mezzo.org/) on each of the real-servers in the cluster.
Best results seem to come from using a fibre channel back-end for these
sorts of file systems, though (especially with GFS). And I'd prefer the
stability of the front-back model, for my preference (the products on
offer for this kind of environment are more mature).

--
Malcolm Cowe.
IT | Technical Computing,    Telephone: +44 131 331 6466