how to tell if certain code is in kernel

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: how to tell if certain code is in kernel
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:55:21 -0400
For my LVS configure script, if say the forwarding is VS-Tun,
I look for tunneling code in the module list (lsmod) or
in the kernel. This current method for looking in the kernel
is to look at System.map (eg for ipip_init). This requires
the System.map to be kept in sync with the kernel.

Ratz instead suggested the I look in /proc/ksyms. I have
ipip tunneling built into the kernel and there is nothing
in /proc/ksyms that indicates that ipip tunneling is built
into the kernel.

Are there better methods for looking at the kernel?

Thanks Joe