Re: how to tell if certain code is in kernel

To: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: how to tell if certain code is in kernel
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 00:34:17 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Roberto Nibali wrote:

> I haven't replied to Joe's posting because I'm still fighting
> whether I should tell you my opinion on this or not. I do now: I
> don't think grepping for anything is a feasable and well-enough
> solution to find out the current machine state. I mean you,

        Agreed. The grep was my first thought when /proc/ksyms doesn't
show anything.

> obviously you can find information in:
>
> o System.map
> o /proc/ksyms
> o /proc/kcore
> o lsmod
> o dmesg

> This is old news but I thought that I could find a better way
> and propose it to you. Meanwhile I came to the conclusion that
> you have following choices:
>
> o document and tell the user that certain things have to be done.
>   You cannot expect your script to detect everything. And by not
>   trying to detect things you would also cope with the current
>   documentary status where we once defined the minimal requirements.

        I believe in this case. As Joe said once the configure script
is for people that learn LVS, the routing and the Linux networking.
May be for someone it is annoyning to use it but the good things that
this script adds are the setup checks. This is an experience that
helps each starter. Once the 2 or 3 rules that each forwarding method
requires are discovered everyone can build its own settings more
suitable for its advanced setup or toplogy. The Linux networking world
can be very complex and may be we can't cover everything possible. It
is even preferred the script to fail somewhere than to make unpredictable
things. But may be I'm too far from all details involved in the
script. May be the users that really use this script should share
their experience, what they feel strange after first touch, what
is missing.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>