Re: LVS and NFS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS and NFS
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 Sep 2001 02:10:44 +0200
Steven Lang <slang@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> However, I was also writing the log file from this across LVS onto
> the GFS filesystem.  And it was in this log file that I started to
> see problems.  As the file was being written, occasionally a chunk
> of data would be replaced with all zeros.  Now my initial thought
> was that it was data going to different GFS hosts, and that one did
> not have the previously written data yet.  But AFAIK GFS is pretty
> good about synchronizing data.

I wouldn't be surprised if GFS keeps track of how many clients are
accessing a file, and if there's only one client, it _should_ be safe
for one server to assume that noone else will mess with it.  Except
when you introduce LVS...  That one client should now be regarded as
two -- but is it?

If my theory is correct, setting up persistence in the load balancer
will fix the problem.  But I have _no_ experience with GFS, so take
this with a bucket of salt.

> And in computer terms, 5 seconds is a long time, and that is how
> long the data would need to be out of sync for it to switch to the
> other server for the next write.

Won't the load balancer roughly round-robin each packet to the real
servers?  (I don't know what the implications of 5 second UDP timeout
are.)

In conclusion, I'd ask the GFS developers about your setup.  They
should know more about the protocol implications of LVS.

Kjetil T.