Re: LVS and NFS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS and NFS
From: Steven Lang <slang@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:13:50 -0700
On Wednesday 26 September 2001 05:10 pm, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> Won't the load balancer roughly round-robin each packet to the real
> servers?  (I don't know what the implications of 5 second UDP timeout
> are.)
>
> In conclusion, I'd ask the GFS developers about your setup.  They
> should know more about the protocol implications of LVS.

It handled UDP the same way Linux NAT handles UDP.  When the first packet it
seen from client:port to server:port, it calls that a connection.  In the
case of NAT, that is so the reply to the packet is properly forwarded.
Anyhow, this is now setup as a "connection" - and like a TCP connection any
further packets from client:port to server:port are sent to the same server.
And like TCP connections, there is a timeout between when the last packet is
seen, and when the connection is dropped from the table.  This is normally
several minutes.  I dropped this down do 5 seconds to allow the load balancer
the ability to do it's job.  But apparently this is causint a problem.  I
upped it to 15 seconds and the write problem went away.