Re: balancing issues & balancing over multiple sites

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: balancing issues & balancing over multiple sites
Cc: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 05:36:05 -0400
"Matthew S. Crocker" wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Julian Anastasov wrote:
>
> I'm seeing this behavior with my LVS cluster.  Here is the scenario

I saw similar things with my VS-DR setup although I forget the exact details.
I decided that the problem was that the ActiveConn/InActConn represented
the ipvsadm table's view of the number of connections, which for VS-DR
is inferred from time-outs and watching incoming packets, but is not
neccessarily a good reflection of the number of connections for each
realserver. ipvs will keep this ipvsadm value balanced.

What your realserver is seeing is another matter. I noticed
that when I had a pair of realservers that could run with 2.2.x or
2.4.x kernels (same application), that the number of connections
the realservers were was always higher for the 2.2.x kernel (I think, and
I seem to remember about 30-50% higher). I wondered if FIN_WAIT etc
were different for the two kernels.

I decided that the problem was that the realservers weren't indentical and
it wasn't worth spending a lot of time on. Your imbalance seems a lot worse
than I would have expected if this is the explanation.

Joe