Re: two internet links load balancing

To: Logu <lvslog@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: two internet links load balancing
Cc: LVS <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 17:53:39 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Logu wrote:

> Hi,
> I have two isdn internet connection from two different isps. I am going to
> put an lvs_nat between the users and these two links so as to loadbalace the
> bandwidth. Is it possible.  I need your suggestions and advice for the above
> setup.
> -Logu

        You can use the Linux's multipath feature:

# ip ru
0:      from all lookup local
50:     from all lookup main
100:    from 192.168.0.0/24 lookup 100
200:    from all lookup 200
32766:  from all lookup main
32767:  from all lookup 253

# ip r l t 100
default  src DUMMY_IP
        nexthop via ISP1  dev DEV1 weight 1
        nexthop via ISP2  dev DEV2 weight 1

# ip r l t 200
default via ISP1 dev DEV1  src MY_IP1
default via ISP2 dev DEV2  src MY_IP2

        You can add to this setup my dead gateway detection
extension (for now only against 2.2):

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/

        By this way you will be able fully to utilize the both lines
for masquerading. Without this patch you will not be able to select
different public IPs to each ISP. They are named "Alternative routes".
Of course, in any case the management is not an easy task. It needs
understanding.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>