Re: two internet links load balancing

To: Logu <lvslog@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: two internet links load balancing
Cc: LVS <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 23:25:35 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Logu wrote:

> Thanks Julian,
> If you point me to some links or tutorial, it will be very much useful. Or
> if you could put some more explanation, it will be easy for me to understand
> as i am very new to this.

        You can read about the multipath feature from the iproute2
package:

ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/

Search for "nexthop" in doc/ip-cref.tex

> Thanks in advance
> -Logu

> > # ip ru
> > 0:      from all lookup local
> > 50:     from all lookup main
> > 100:    from 192.168.0.0/24 lookup 100
> > 200:    from all lookup 200
> > 32766:  from all lookup main
> > 32767:  from all lookup 253

        Here the kernel cycles between the two routes and decides to
forward the packet to one of the two gateways:

> > # ip r l t 100
> > default  src DUMMY_IP
> > nexthop via ISP1  dev DEV1 weight 1
> > nexthop via ISP2  dev DEV2 weight 1

        Here the masquerading selects source address for the outgoing
packet by looking for the already selected output device from the previous
step. The prefsrc from table 200 is used as masquerading address:

> > # ip r l t 200
> > default via ISP1 dev DEV1  src MY_IP1
> > default via ISP2 dev DEV2  src MY_IP2

By this way proper source address is selected for each of the gateways.
The plain kernel does not allow selection of different source address
when similar setups are handled only by multipath route. This problem
is handled from the alternative routes and the ability to lookup them
by output device.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>