Re: Incremental checksum updates for 2.2.19-1.0.8

To: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Incremental checksum updates for 2.2.19-1.0.8
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 00:04:33 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Roberto Nibali wrote:

> >         This patch includes the same optimizations we can see in the
> > development IPVS 0.9.4 for 2.4, i.e. incremental checksum updates for
> > all LVS-NAT connections and in the 2.2 case even for the masqueraded
> > (non-LVS) ones.
>
> Some beginner question to your patch:
>
> ip_masq_check_tcpudp():
>
> +#ifdef CONFIG_IP_MASQ_DEBUG
> +       if (ip_masq_get_debug_level() > 3) {
> +               skb->ip_summed = CHECKSUM_NONE;
> +       }
> +#endif
>
> Why do you set CHECKSUM_NONE if CONFIG_IP_MASQ_DEBUG is set? What
> happens
> if when before calling ip_masq_check_tcpudp() we have a wrong checksum?

        The code was present before this change. It seems it is used
to avoid checksum problems in the hardware, for example, when CHECKSUM_HW
or CHECKSUM_UNNECESSARY are returned.

> Don't you think we should wait for 2.2.20 to come out? Alan should have
> released it since 2 weeks already. I wonder if he was flushed down the
> toiled or if he's so busy trying to divert 2.4.x-ac series as much as
> possible from the Linus-series. 2.2.20 has tons of TCP stack fixes.

        Yes, it seems 2.2.20 is full with net bugs. But we can port
1.0.9 to 2.2.20 without any problems after this change (it is the only
one for 1.0.9 for now) is tested with 2.2.19. For now we need this change
tested from many aspects before 1.0.9.

> YMMV, but still best regards,
> Roberto Nibali, ratz

Regards