Re: about Persistent connection

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: about Persistent connection
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 23:08:44 +0200
Hello Charles Huang,

> #----------lvs_dr.conf----------------------------------------
> LVSCONF_FORMAT=1.1
> LVS_TYPE=VS_DR
> INITIAL_STATE=on
> CLEAR_IPVS_TABLES=yes
> VIP=eth0:0 61.131.4.187 255.255.255.255 61.131.4.187
> DIP=eth0 61.131.4.170 61.131.4.128 255.255.255.192 61.131.4.191
> SERVICE=t http wrr ppc 61.131.4.171,2 61.131.4.172,2 61.131.4.173,2
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

seems to be ok, although I don't yet know how the configure.pl works
in great detail.

> At command mode (ipvsadm), Adding persistency to a service is done with the
> '-p' option.
> But cannot add persistency to http server, I add ppc option at lvs_dr.conf(
> like above),
> configing with Jos's configure-lvs_0.9.2 and runing rc.lvs_dr.
> How to do?

Hmm, I honestly don't know, I think only Joe knows the answer. I did a
quick
perldoc ./configure.pl and around line 700++ I found a suspicious note:

       PERSISTENT CONNECTIONS and LINKED SERVICES
       Some services need to be set up with persistence.  This is
       handled automatically for you. This section explains how
       it works. You can skip this section if you like.

       Single port services (eg telnet, http) can be assigned to
       any real-server. The client at the conclusion of one
       connection (session) can be re-assigned to a different
       real-server for another connection without any effect.
       These service do not need persistence.

But then Joe mentions something about linked services and I didn't
quite follow that one:

       LINKED SERVICES
       Multi-port services e.g. ftp (port 20,21 ie ftp,ftp-data)
       or http/https (where connections to port 80 and 443 need
       to go to the same real-server) are called here linked
       services.  (For VS-NAT, linking ftp and ftp-data is
       handled by the module ip_masq_ftp, which has to be loaded
       at run time.)

       For all other services/forwarding methods, linking of
       services is handled by LVS persistence (which could
       alternately be called "port affinity").  Although we only
       need to link these specific pairs of services, LVS
       persistence links all services on the real-server, not
       just the ones we need to link.

       Thus if any of the persistent_services (ftp or https) are
       found in the SERVICES line, then all services on that
       real-server are tied together.  Once a client connects to
       that server for any service, all further connections for
       any other service from that client will go to the same
       real-server.

I'm a little bit puzzled myself actually. Let Joe clarify things here :)

Sorry I cannot help you right now,
Roberto Nibali, ratz