Re: firewall for lvs question

To: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: firewall for lvs question
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:36:50 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Roberto Nibali wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > > properly. But as I'm setting up the firewall (iptables), I noticed that
> > > iptables wont let me add ip alias
> >
> > this is a standard ip_tables problem. I think you just put eth0 in the
> > command rather than eth0:54 (or whatever)
>
> Ok, this is a problem of understanding of the 'ip alias' concept since
> late 2.1.1?? kernels. We do not have a struct *dev for a ip alias
> anymore.
> An ip alias is nothing then a secondary ip which can be bound to the
> physical
> or dummy interface or generally to a service. The name eth0:54 is just a
> label and the kernel doesn't give a flying monkeys shit about this. You
> can also name it eth0:LVS_rocks, if you want. Check out the difference
> of
> following trace and see why you _shouldn't_ use old obsolete tools like
> ifconfig and route anymore:

        I just want to add some info here. The concept of "attaching
an IP address to interface" is not working well. Everybody should be
careful when adding 2nd and more IPs in same subnet (secondary IP
addresses) because when the primary (the first created) is deleted
all secondary addresses follow it.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>