Re: Geographically Distributed LVS

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Geographically Distributed LVS
From: "Kip Iles" <kip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:40:25 -0500
> Kip Iles wrote:
> >
> > I use the term redirect loosely.
>
> I have no idea what the problem is then.
> Can you explain it in non-loose terms?

ip_vs redirects IP packets using NAT, TUN, or DR. Regardless of how it is
done, I still think of the packets as being "redirected" since they were
sent somewhere other than the original DIP. I will not use his term in the
future. Maybe forwarding would be a better term.

Anyway, In as non-loose terms as I can muster ....

For simplicity, I used to have a director (dir_A) and two realservers behind
it. Dir_A used VS-TUN to balance between both real servers. All client
requests for the VIP resolved to an IP address on dir_A's outside interface
eth0 (eth0:1 to be precise). Those requests were encapsulated and sent to
one of the realservers. The realservers decapsulated the packet and returned

Now I have moved one of the realservers to a remote site and put it behind a
new director (dir_B). Dir_B uses VS-NAT to forward requests to it's
realserver. The realserver gets the request and responds to the client via
NAT through dir_b. This worked fine.

The problem is getting request received by dir_A to balance between it's
local realserver and the remote realserver behind dir_B. Why do I even have
a director at the remote site, you might ask? Why not just go directly to
the realserver since no load balancing is required. Because in reality there
are multiple realservers behind each director but we only talk about one for
illustration purposes. Also, dir_B is intended to be used as a
firewall/router/VPN at the remote site.

This is how I expect the packets to flow ...

Client->DIRA-tun->DIRB-nat->Real-nat->Client
or
Client->DIRA-tun->Real->Client