Re: Security RFE

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Security RFE
From: "Brett Johnson" <mlipvs@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:56:42 -0600
Connection tracking doesn't work in iptables if LVS is getting the packets.
 Tried many times, many ways.

Right now I secure the VIP by blocking low ports and "around" others, but
this still leaves high ports exposed and isn't a very good security model.
High ports can't be blocked if there is going to be FTP on there anyway.

From what I understand, there is already connection tracking inside the LVS
module.  I'm wondering instead of letting the module pass the packet along,
have an option to let it drop the packet if it doesn't have a match.  This
would be far easier and not have extra any part of the OS "exposed" to the
open network.  This would also eliminate any iptables rules for that VIP
greatly simplifing setup and security. :)

Thx / B++ / K90, Inc.