Re: FreeS/WAN Cluster - any experiences?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: FreeS/WAN Cluster - any experiences?
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:13:19 +0100
Hello,

 Your main bottleneck will be in the amount of data that your average CPU
can {de,en}crypt. Something like a 2Ghz chip should be able to encrypt a
little over a megabyte a second, with a good tail wind. You would be

:) Nice statement. It's not only the CPU that needs some power. You definitely want to find a CPU with a lot of L2 (maybe L3) cache. At least 1 MByte. If it supports data prefetch logic like a Tualatin or a Xeon it can be loaded in the advance transfer cache and is still hot for number crunching. Of course a fast processor is important but even more important for CPU intensive work is the cache and the FSB.

better advised to use one box, with hardware FreeS/Wan acceleration
instead.

Yep. You need to buy [1] and apply the patches [2] and here goes your 30Mbit/s decryption.

 There was some rumours of Intel doing drivers for the secure versions of
the eepro100 chips (which I think some PowerEdges support), but they
certainly never released it. Checkout the FreeS/WAN website for more
details on what hardware is supported.

You mean that Israelian guy working for Intel? Yeah, he's still working on the driver and some bureaucratic issues. I think he will release some code soon. Another thing I remember is the RavLin card at [3] and [4]. And [5] is something to read for Julian Anastasov just in case he wants to build in some caching into the routing code for ESP :)

[1] http://www.hifn.com/products/7901.html
[2] http://sources.colubris.com/en/projects/FreeSWAN/
[3] http://www.midwestlinux.com/products/redcreek/ipsecpci.html
[4] http://www.ipvpn.ca/RavlinNIC.htm