Re: FreeS/WAN Cluster - any experiences?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: FreeS/WAN Cluster - any experiences?
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:51:31 +0100
Hello Julian,

        May be it is possible by adding ESP support to LVS
to define fwmark-based persistent virtual service that can
forward ISAKMP and ESP to the right VPN gateway, all in LVS-DR
mode? May be even AH can work with LVS-DR? One client goes
only to one real server. I hope the ESP protocol is not difficult
to add in LVS. Any thoughts from the IPSec gurus on this list? :)

I'm not a IPsec guru, but how do you intend to mark the descrambled ESP packet and redirect it into the LVS code path? I mean as a start we (you) could do ESP support only which would work for LVS-DR and LVS-NAT. I don't know if you can dequeue from a ipsec0 device? It's just a secondary IP IMHO. Check out [1] and Cisco's explanation on ESP and NAT at [2]. And before you implement it, you should read [3] and [4] :)
/me ducks and runs like hell now!

[1] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/linux-ipsec/html/2000/12/\
           msg00006.html
[2] http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/759/ipj_3-4/ipj_3-4_nat.html