End users

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: End users
From: Jim Becher <jbecher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:57:14 -0800 (PST)
I finally have lvs up and running.  Working great and I cannot be
happier.

My only grumbles are that there is little in direct / easy
configuration materials out there.  I am fairly handy with Linux and
was able to get the setup (1 director and 2 real servers) working.

Since putting our solution in place I have had multiple requests to
help do this for others.  What I don't want to deal with is going
through all the hassle started with to get it going for them.  These
people are not ?nix savy or even too Windows savvy.   So to help deal
with these people I was wondering if there is currently any projects
that:

1.  Have easy plug and play lvs director (gui install stuff)

2.  Any pre-compiled kernels out there (or distributions that are
just for lvs)  I may just create and image of my current director and
put that image up on new boxen.  (any suggestions for this - or
experiences)

3.  Any ideas on how to bring this to the sys admins who are dead set

on purchasing things like an (f5 or a coyote box)?  It took a bit of
coaxing but I was able to get my boss to allow me to go with a linux
lvs solution rather than an expensive dedicated hardware.  This was
a big step forward due to the fact that we are a microsoft shop. (yea
linux)  But, I really had no data to stand on other than the fact
they believed that I could make it work.  Are there any real world
Reasons / experiences to use lvs vs. a piece of hardware?

My reason for this email is to see if anyone is already moving
forward on these ideas or to see if I am just out of whack and should
not even consider going forward.

Thanks