Re: virtual interface limit?

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: virtual interface limit?
From: <lvs-list-spam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 16:47:29 -0600 (CST)
i thought about that.  ifconfig doesn't have an option for full
(or non-truncated) listings so i thought that was a dead end.

here's something that is really weird.

when i startup pulse and let all the virtual interfaces come up, then run:

        ifconfig eth0:13

i get output, but no address.  if i type

        ifconfig eth0:13 up

it tells me it can't allocate the requested ip address.

that was starting to look like a config problem, as you suggested.  then i
went in with a fine toothed comb and looked at all my ip's, grepped the
config files by the last octet (in this case 238, in X.X.X.238) and found
nothing.  for grins i typed:

        ifconfig eth0:13 X.X.X.239 up

and it came up fine.

so i went thru the config files with a fine toothed comb _again_ and found
no conflicts on either ip.

i shut down pulse, changed the config file to put eth0:13 up on the next
ip, X.X.X.239, and now everything works as expected.  eth0:13 comes up,
ifconfig reports it, etc. etc.  too weird.  an ip black hole.

any thoughts?

<drew>