Re: virtual interface limit?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: virtual interface limit?
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Feb 2002 01:10:50 +0100
<lvs-list-spam@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> i thought about that.  ifconfig doesn't have an option for full
> (or non-truncated) listings so i thought that was a dead end.
>
> here's something that is really weird.
>
> when i startup pulse and let all the virtual interfaces come up, then run:
>
>       ifconfig eth0:13
>
> i get output, but no address.  if i type
>
>       ifconfig eth0:13 up
>
> it tells me it can't allocate the requested ip address.
>
> that was starting to look like a config problem, as you suggested.  then i
> went in with a fine toothed comb and looked at all my ip's, grepped the
> config files by the last octet (in this case 238, in X.X.X.238) and found
> nothing.  for grins i typed:
>
>       ifconfig eth0:13 X.X.X.239 up
>
> and it came up fine.
>
> so i went thru the config files with a fine toothed comb _again_ and found
> no conflicts on either ip.
>
> i shut down pulse, changed the config file to put eth0:13 up on the next
> ip, X.X.X.239, and now everything works as expected.  eth0:13 comes up,
> ifconfig reports it, etc. etc.  too weird.  an ip black hole.
>
> any thoughts?

You were probably bit by a broken ifconfig and/or ifup.  RedHat
recently released an errata for it.  ifconfig doesn't know about the
recent capability of a single interface answering to several IP
addresses (to be honest, I think that ability is a crock).  Use "ip
addr ls" from the iproute package to see this and clear up the
situation.

Kjetil T.