Documentation of arp problem in 2.4.18 kernel

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Documentation of arp problem in 2.4.18 kernel
From: "Paul Dixon" <paul@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 17:30:18 -0000
I'm just beginning with getting an LVS-Tun system up and running. My
director is running 2.4.18 kernel with the v1.0.0. ipvs patch. The
realservers are currently stock installations of RedHat 7.2 (kernel version
2.4.9-7). Before I can progress any further I need to prevent my realservers
from responding to arp requests on the VIP.

I've read the document at http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/docs/arp.html,
but this doesn't go into a lot of detail on the pros and cons of each
approach. I was wondering what the current best practice would be for
dealing with the arp issue in a 2.4 kernel. If at all possible, I'd prefer a
solution that didn't involve a kernel rebuild, since one of my realservers
is already racked up on the other side the Atlantic :-)

Any tips or pointers welcomed.

Paul Dixon
paul@xxxxxxxxxx