Re: Documentation of arp problem in 2.4.18 kernel

To: Paul Dixon <paul@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Documentation of arp problem in 2.4.18 kernel
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 20:45:52 +0200 (EET)
        Hello,

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Paul Dixon wrote:

> I've read the document at http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/docs/arp.html,

        May be you missed the HOWTO:

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-3.html

> but this doesn't go into a lot of detail on the pros and cons of each
> approach. I was wondering what the current best practice would be for
> dealing with the arp issue in a 2.4 kernel. If at all possible, I'd prefer a
> solution that didn't involve a kernel rebuild, since one of my realservers
> is already racked up on the other side the Atlantic :-)

        I don't know for solutions without kernel rebuild :)
Read http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/hidden.txt to know why.
I'm planning a tool for ARP filtering but it is at 2nd position in
my queue:

- ISAKMP/AH/ESP IPSec support for devel IPVS 1.1.x (Status: 50%)

- ARP filtering (not a LVS issue) for Linux 2.2+ (Status: known user space
commands, TODO: kernel part, user space)

- etc

> Any tips or pointers welcomed.
>
> Paul Dixon
> paul@xxxxxxxxxx