lvs with bonding, heartbeat, etc.

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: lvs with bonding, heartbeat, etc.
From: Paul Lantinga <prl@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 13:24:27 -0500
Ethernet bonding with LVS can be fun - even without much documentation.
Is anyone else out there using LVS with the Linux bonding/ifenslave
setup?  I feel a document coming on and would be happy to include any
additional wisdom others have gleaned from using and/or setting up linux
bonding[1].

I have yet to get heartbeat to work with it, but it should work given
enough elbow grease.  Also, I have yet to get 2 separate bonds (bond0,
bond1, etc) to come up.

Here's what I wanted to do:
  client network  lvs server (dell 2550)
  cisco 2924      ipvs1.0.0 on 2.4.18
  port group 1    interface bond0
  port 1 <------->eepro100 dualNIC port#1
  port 2 <------->eepro100 dualNIC port#2

  server network  lvs server (dell 2550)
  cisco 3548      ipvs1.0.0 on 2.4.18
  port group 2    interface bond1
  port 3 <------->eepro100 dualNIC port#1
  port 4 <------->eepro100 dualNIC port#2
(for the sake of clarity in this example, the lvs servers mentioned
above both refer to the same box, not two separate lvs servers)

Interface bond0 comes up fine with eth1 and eth2 no problem.  Bond1
fails miserably every time.  I'm going to take that issue up on the
bonding mailing list.

Anyhow, here's what I ended up with:
  client network  lvs server (dell 2550)
  cisco 2924 sw   ipvs1.0.0 on 2.4.18
  port group 1    interface bond0
  port fa0/1 <------->eepro100 dualNIC port#1
  port fa0/2 <------->eepro100 dualNIC port#2

  server network  lvs server (dell 2550)
  cisco 3548      ipvs1.0.0 on 2.4.18
  port g0/1 <---->onboard GiGENIC (broadcomm chipset)

This is driven in part by our desire to see how far we can push lvs.  I
know it does 100mb/s in and out.  If it can keep 2 channels full, I'll
add a thirds, fourth,fifth, etc as necessary.

Using apache bench (ab) this time.  ;)

-Paul.

[1] see http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/bonding/  and watch out for
the landmines, few of them are marked.  ;)