Problem with LVS-DR and Windows NT

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Problem with LVS-DR and Windows NT
From: Thierry Coopman <calvin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 15:21:38 +0100
Hi,

I've been trying to set up an LVS-DR director for Windows NT IIS https load
balancing.

I use the version 0.9.9 Netfilter module with Linux Kernel 2.4.17 (IP
Virtual Server version 0.9.9 (size=65536))

I have the wlc load balancing algo with a 3600 seconds of persistance (I
need this high persistance due to stupid session stuff).

The problem I have is that once we start using it people start to get quite
random connection timeouts. Checking with ipvsadm -L -c -n I noticed these
connections hang on SYN_RECV state.

I have set up Windows NT with the MS Loopback Adapter, and this works great
(at first sight). The problem was mostly reported by customers having high
bandtwidth connections (cable & DSL).

On some 1500 connections I had about 10% in SYN_RECV state. This made the
site randomly unavailable for the customers.

I have a setup balancing 2 FreeBSD machines using the same setup and I have
never seen these 'SYN_RECV' states on that setup.

What could this mean? Is the use Windows NT the problem (problems using
their TCP/IP stack), or have I misconfigured my LVS (connection hash table
too small, missed out some timeouts, persisteny too long... Etc..)

The Windows NT machines are NT4 and working without problem connecting
directly to them.

What does this SYN_RECV mean anyway, and how comes there are so many on that
setup???

Thanks for every help I can get !