Re: Transparent Squid Proxying

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Transparent Squid Proxying
From: "Paul P. Pongco" <paulp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:48:07 +0800 (PHT)
Hello,

=>They weren't in a great rush to fix it and we couldn't think
=>of any situation that couldn't be handled with fwmark.
Yep, that's why im using fwmark but couldnt seem to get it to work.

=>You aren't using TP on the director, and are using fwmark
=>and you should be able to get it to work. You don't need to
Im using the director to load balance 4 transparent squid proxies. There
is no squid running on the director.

=>Your iptable commands look about right, but I can't tell for sure.

Here is the output of the ff commands:

director# iptables -L -t mangle
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
MARK       tcp  --  anywhere             10.142.142.8      tcp dpt:8080
MARK set 0x2
MARK       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:http
MARK set 0x1
LOG        tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:http
LOG level warning

Im marking http requests with 0x1. Im also logging it.
Squid port is 8080 w/c is marked with 0x2. The director is also being used
for manual proxy requests (cache port 8080). This part is
working.

direcot# ipvsadm
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port   Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
FWM  1 dh persistent 360
  -> cache3:http        Route   1      0          5
FWM  2 wlc persistent 360
  -> cache3:8080        Route   1      167        127
  -> cache5:8080        Route   1      174        164
  -> cache4:8080        Route   1      140        256
  -> cache6:8080        Route   1      158        133

=>you have the 2.4 TP problem on the director here.
lvs homepage says that fwmark should be able to provide a workaround for
my intended setup to work. Anyone done this? I can use WCCP (w/c is a
different topic altogether ;) ).
Thanks in advance.

--
Cheers,