Re: Hidden patch

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Hidden patch
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:00:13 +0900
On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 06:28:40AM -0400, Joseph Mack wrote:
> Horms wrote:
> > it is perfectly valid to
> > have the same IP address on more than one interface at the
> > same time.
>
> thanks.
>
> Is there a reason why you'd want to do this or is it just not
> forbidden and therefore allowed (I beleive this is called the American
> philosophy)

It is actually something you may want to do. For example.

Imagine you have a dialup server, 192.168.0.1, which sits on the
192.168.0.0/24 network.  Now each dialup user is going to get their own ip
address, but 192.168.0.0/24 is your server network, so these ip addresses
are on a different network, lets say 10.0.7.0/24. Now when the dailup users
come in, there is no need for the dialup-server to have an address on the
10.0.7.0/24 network, it is just a point to point link, so you can have for
instance.

[client]<-------->[dialup-server]
10.0.7.7          192.168.0.1
ppp0              ppp0

But the dialup-server already has 192.168.0.1 on eth0. Thus you have the
same IP address on multiple interfaces. In fact it would have the same IP
address on eth0 and each of the ppp interfaces.

--
Horms