Re: extending NAT

To: Tao Zhao <taozhao@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: extending NAT
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 15:41:48 +1000
On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 10:48:39AM -0400, Tao Zhao wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I'm in the process to implement the following, but stuck at the port
> number part. Does anybody here know how to reserve a range of port number
> in the kernel?

I'm not entirely sure that you can reserve a range of addresses as such.
One notes that under 2.4 once can in fact bind to the port 610000-65095
that are used for NAT[1]. It seems that the the only reservation that
is done is to set the ephemeral port range not to overlap with
these ports. That and telling users not to bind to these ports.

You can change the ephemeral port range under 2.4 by manipulating
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range

[1] http://netfilter.samba.org/documentation/HOWTO//NAT-HOWTO-4.html

--
Horms