Re: lvs synch daemon question. (fwd)

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: lvs synch daemon question. (fwd)
From: "Alexandre CASSEN" <alexandre.cassen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 14:51:51 +0200
Hi Ramon,

> Our routers allow multicast on a single subnet at a time.  This isn't a
> problem but what happens if I have two sets of two lvs machines clustered
> with keepalived.  Will there be contention with two lvs synch daemons
> being masters on the same subnet?

Ok, if you want to run a active/active LVS cluster using LVS syncd you will
be in front of the following problems :

1. Currently LVS syncd support 2 states : MASTER & BACKUP, in MASTER state
syncd adverts are sent to the syncd mcast group. MASTER thread only send
advert, it doesn t handle inbound adverts. If you plan to run active/active
setup you need a conceptual syncd state that handle inbound adverts.

2. Introducing this inbound MASTER stream handling, you need to introduce a
"on the fly" state transition between MASTER to BACKUP (& vis-versa). => or
only define one state : the MASTER that send advert and handle inbound
adverts => group MASTER & BACKUP states...

So currently if you run active/active setup your both lvs syncd into your
LVS director will be in MASTER state, sending adverts... But no one will
receive them (except if you add a third LVS director in syncd backup :)).

So currently only use lvs_syncd on one director (this will add half
failover connection table).

Best regards,
Alexandre