Re: Network funkyness

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Network funkyness
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Daniel Burke <smstnitc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 11:17:31 -0700 (PDT)
--- Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Daniel Burke wrote:
>
> > In a nutshell, odd things were happening.  A
> > little more verbose: over the course of 4 hours
> > (almost to the minute) the VIPs would become
> > unreachable.  It
>
>       Can this time be related to some "ARP cache
> timeout", may be in the uplink router. May be the
VIP
> is ARP-resolved from this router once on 4 hours.

That makes sense... I'll have to talk to the LAN/WAN
guys about that tomorrow.

> > being able to reach the VIPs, and eventually
> > nobody could get to them.  The temp solution was
>
>       It seems you do not switch to real server mode
> correctly, see below.

Actually, I was trying to have the directors contain
the dummy interfaces at the same time as having them
on eth0.  Based on your description below, I see why
that was a bad thing.

> > I started seeing weird things, like "arp -a" was
> > showing (incomplete) for the mac address of the
> > VIPs when that machine was no longer able to
> > contact it.
> > at a time, each almost an hour apart before the
> > rest of the network suddenly couldn't get to any
of
> > them.
>
>       Where you see this arp -a ? On some "client" on
> the LAN?

Yeah, I was running it from my PC and from a server on
the same segment that runs netsaint to monitor all our
servers.

> IP address and secondly, because the kernel
continues
> to consider this VIP on dummy0 even while dummy0 is
> down. OTOH, ip addr del for the last address can
stop
> the IP Protocol for dummy0 and to reset the
> dummy0/hidden value to 0.

Would it work to down all the interfaces and unload
the dummy module?  Or should I use "ip addr del" for
all the dummy0:x ip's?  (I need to read up on the ip
command, it's new to me as of friday).

>       Yes, the ipchains redirect method is not
> suitable for some servers but the tproxy support
> usually allows binding to any IP (in Linux 2.2). The
> problem appears when these servers walk the list
with
> IP addresses.

The old servers had 2.2 kernels, the new ones have 2.4
kernels.  What bugs me about the ipchains method not
working is I actually had it working in development
friday afternoon, some similarly setup systems... but
then again, I only have one VIP being passed around in
development, so that could be a big part of it too.

That's for all the help, I've learned a great deal the
last few days.

Dan.