Re: Network funkyness

To: Daniel Burke <smstnitc@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Network funkyness
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 22:24:51 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Daniel Burke wrote:

> Actually, I was trying to have the directors contain
> the dummy interfaces at the same time as having them
> on eth0.  Based on your description below, I see why
> that was a bad thing.

        Yes, you can't keep the same VIP on 2 devs at the
same time. At least, for such setup. The dummy device is
before the eth devices in the list and when the kernel
lookups for VIP it can find it first on the dummy interface
where it is marked as hidden. The result: VIP is hidden
even when it is configured also on ARP device.

> Would it work to down all the interfaces and unload
> the dummy module?  Or should I use "ip addr del" for
> all the dummy0:x ip's?  (I need to read up on the ip
> command, it's new to me as of friday).

        You can configure some "dummy" IP on dummy0 just
to keep the IP protocol enabled for this device. Then
ifconfig dummy0:N VIPn down will simply remove the
corresponding VIP without disabling the IP protocol.
Then you can add the VIP to device "lo" or another ethN
device where the kernel will use it as normal IP and
this VIP will be in "director" mode.

> The old servers had 2.2 kernels, the new ones have 2.4
> kernels.  What bugs me about the ipchains method not
> working is I actually had it working in development
> friday afternoon, some similarly setup systems... but
> then again, I only have one VIP being passed around in
> development, so that could be a big part of it too.

        As for apache, IIRC, ipchains method works for
apache 1.3, I didn't tried 2.0 but I don't expect problems.
Example for service walking the list of IPs is Bind 8,
if you play with IPs you have to notify the daemon. May
be Bind checks the IPs on some interval, though. Of course,
the different servers make different decisions about the
IPs, on what device they are configured, etc. Another
example is FreeSWAN, it is impossible to handle the ARP
problem for FreeSWAN by using the hidden flag.

> Dan.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>