Re: about LVS + heartbeat

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, piranha-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: about LVS + heartbeat
From: pb <peterbaitz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 09:09:19 -0700 (PDT)
Addendum this this "heartbeat" setup message:
Because I got no replies on the insides of setting up
heartbeat on LVS or Piranha/LVS in general, I wrote
a nifty "heartbeat" perl script that is running in the
background on both LVS boxes. Essentially, the script
knows the Public IP address of the LVS SERVICE and
pings for it 6 times over a minutes (each 10 secs) and
does this every 2 minutes (all settings being
adjustable). If the primary goes down for whatever
reason, the secondary will bring do an ifup on eth0:1
and eth1:1 (the LVS Public IP and NAT router IP) and
take over (DNS is set to use those addresses for LVS
service).  After the secondary takes over, and the
primary is brought up again, it checks for Live LVS
Service and finding it does not load it up but keeps
monitoring (so the secondary becomes the primary).
Working nicely so far....

Peter