LVS-DR + DNS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: LVS-DR + DNS
From: Stefan Peter <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 17:05:13 +0200 (CEST)
Hi All,

I know very well that it is not recommended to operate DNS on LVS-cluster,
however, I have got to do it unfortunately.

There is a director set up using 2 NICs, one of them facing to the outer
world, say, internet, and the other to a private network having private IP
addresses. LVS is configured using DR.

The DNS service has an IP (VIP) number taken out of the range of public IP
addresses. If there is a client DNS query that involves an address that
is not involved in any of the zones (primary and secondary) maintained by
the LVS the DNS has to ask other serves, root serves, the DNS server
responsible for the domain the query belongs to, what the address is. I
configured the DNS query interface to have the VIP since this is the only
address in the private network that can be routed.
However, if one of the RSs sends out such a query, the answer from the
remote server will be send to the director, and then there is no guarantee
that the answer is forwarded to the right RS (i.e. that initiated the
query).

Zone transfers do not work either.

Is there any solution or workarount to this problem, or should I use
public IPs that are routable to the outside world instead of private
addresses?

Regards,
Peter Stefan