Re: LVS-DR + DNS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS-DR + DNS
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 12:53:22 -0400
Stefan Peter wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I know very well that it is not recommended to operate DNS on LVS-cluster,
> however, I have got to do it unfortunately.

YOu don't say a lot about your constraints, so it's hard to give a reply
here. I'll assume that people in clientland have to use the VIP:53 for their
DNS. What else the LVS is doing I don't know.

> Is there any solution or workarount to this problem, or should I use
> public IPs that are routable to the outside world instead of private
> addresses?

The only way the LVS can give back DNS info is if the realservers are
on the internet (have public IPs). This makes your LVS a 3-tier LVS
(see http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-10.html).

Greg's solution is another way of doing it, and not have the director
forward port 53 at all. This will require a default gw for the VIP,
something that I don't like a whole lot

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-13.html#ss13.6

but most people don't seem to care about. If you do care about it, you
can always use iproute2 to have a default gw only for packets to 0/0:53