RE: LVS VS F5

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: LVS VS F5
Cc: "'kslim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <kslim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 12:19:44 -0700
> Can anyone please tell me LVS and F5 which is better

this is pretty vague.  please define "better" or define your setup /
situation more so we can actually answer it.

LVS:
- linux based.
- multiple topologies : at least NAT and direct routing, possibly tunneling.
- source code available!
- zero cost other than your time and hardware.
- good and bad : you get to customize your hardware.
- excellent mailing list support.

F5:
- BSD based.
- one topology supported - NAT.
- source code unavailable!
- $, but setup is backed by a corporation.
- hardware is standarized - less crashes but no upgrading without voiding
your warrenty..

I'm not certain what the performance metrics are for these two solutions,
but I can't think of many situations where it actually matters.  Both are
very likely to do the job, especially in your case where it seems you are
just asking out of the blue with no details...

Best of luck

Peter