Suggestions Please

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Suggestions Please
Cc: <ultramonkey-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Young" <cyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:58:36 -0400
Looking for advise on the current scenario.  All help would be greatly
appreciated!

I am wanting to run RedHat 7.3 on the load-balancers along with the Ultramonkey
2.0 RPMs.  The exception would be getting a proper kernel (preferably a
RedHat-released ones -OR- close to it) on the load balancers (LB1, LB2).  I am
wondering who else is successfully running RedHat 7.3 on the balancers and what
package/software sets they are running.

               |--------------|                        |------------------|
(Public IPs)--*| Firewall/NAT | --- (Private IPs) ---- |    Local Net     |
               |--------------|                        |--|------------|--|
                                                       |  |            |--|
                                              |--------|  |-------|
|----------|
                                              | LB 1   |==|  LB 2 |  | (Real)

                                              |--------|  |-------|  | Servers)

|----------|

I know that I will need to use Direct Routing for this, however I am concerned
that because the outside IP addresses are already being NAT'd (hence everything
IP address-wise will be coming from the inside interface on the firewall), that
I may not get a "good balance".  What would be the best type of balance to
setup in this scenario?  Also, I need to maintain some level of persistence
since it is session-based websites and it is VERY important that the user
continue to use the same real server for their session.

Currently, I need to:
 - Be able to load-balance to multiple web/app servers on Windows 2000 & Linux.
 - Be able to provide redundant load-balancing using ldirectd/heartbeat
     on the load-balancers themselves (using Ultramonkey, preferably).
 - Provide (if possible) a failover SAMBA (SMB) fileservice from the
     load-balancers (when failing over, start/stop SMB service).
     {I'm willing to deal with the filesync issues between the two)

If anyone is running anything similar to this, I would very much appreciate
hearing about your scenario and the basic idea of how you set things up.  I
have the HOWTO and other docs and things are starting making sense about how
everything works.
I'd like suggestions about what you guys believe is the proper way to implement
this type of situation.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
---
Christopher M. Young,
RHCE, SCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCA