Re: LVS DR setup with NT2K servers

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS DR setup with NT2K servers
From: Martijn Klingens <mklingens@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:50:16 +0200
On Tuesday 10 September 2002 09:25, Malcolm Turnbull wrote:
> I've set up a simple LVS DR loadbalancer with 4 IIS web servers (win2K)
> behind it.
>
> I've setup a local loopback adapter on each 2K server and set the
> priority to 254.
>
> The loadbalancer works fine...
>
> But seems to confuse Windows Networking, SMB Network Browsing no longer
> seems to work. (Required by RoboCopy)

We're using an almost similar setup, just that we're currently using a simple
xcopy and want to migrate to DFS. That doesn't change the basics though.

Things that I encountered:

1. Windows always adds a route to the subnet on the loopback adapter. If that
subnet is also available on the normal LAN your routing table will get
confused. In our case we migrated sites with existing IPs to LVS so we had to
pick an entire class C subnet as mask. Solution: manually delete the route to
the /24 on the loopback interface.

2. Disabling the file and print services on the loopback interface usually
also helps.

3. Check the default gateways and the DNS on the various interfaces. If they
are not identical you may find very strange behaviour (although there are
cases where it's useful to have them differ, this is not that common).

Hope this helps. If not, please specify a bit more about your setup. If you
have problems on the realservers, are they able to resolve another realserver
using dns and/or ping another realserver?

Oh, and you mentioned network browsing, which is not entirely the same as
opening a share on a computer with a well-known name. Do you really need the
browser? We usually have the computer browser service stopped anyway so an
intruder isn't instantly able to see all other w2k hosts on the net. A bit
moot, since DNS provides the same data, but it doesn't really hurt either.
--
Martijn