Re: Web farms (3 VIP, 8 RIP)

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Web farms (3 VIP, 8 RIP)
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:30:17 -0400
Aurélien DEHAY wrote:

> > > The problem is that the 8 reals servers doesn't support virtual hosting
>
> > what is "virtual hosting"?

> One IP, multiple domains. Like Apache does. Ok, it's maybe not cleat en
the sentence. Apologies.

OK so the realservers don't support name based httpd? If they work that
way now, then when you put them behind an LVS director, they should
work also.

If you have 3 IPs then I assume you have 3 websites?

> There is web page on a.anpe.fr redirecting on b.anpe.fr or c.anpe.fr. We
> want the real server serving a, b anc c to be the same for the same user
> (for session relating problems).

I don't understand why a needs to redirect to b or c and I don't understand
your setup. With LVS you can have the client always go to the same realserver
(as long as they don't exceed an idle timeout) with persistence.

In an LVS website, you normally don't care which realserver the client
get the hits from. Often they'll get them from different machines, which
speeds up downloading.