Re: scheduling separate persistent services

To: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: scheduling separate persistent services
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jsc3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:08:13 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Joseph Mack wrote:

> >From what I can see, realservers are assigned to "scheduling groups"
> or a "virtual service" (or "foo" or whatever new word we decide on)
> by the `ipvsadm -A` command. The realservers belonging to the "foo"
> are listed below the "TCP ..." (or UDP) entry in the output of `ipvsadm`.

        I like the "scheduling group", one client can connect to
different virtual services part of one scheduling group. Or
"virtual service group", containing one or many entries (fwmark)?

> I need something to describe a "virtual connection", "scheduling instance",
> or "scheduled item" (not great terms, I'm hoping for something better).
>
> With a regular (non-persistent) http "virtual service"/"scheduling
> group"/"foo",
> a single client when asking for multiple hits, can get each of the hits
> from different realservers and each of these hits increments the InActConn
> entry for that realserver. Each of these hits is scheduled separately
> (by rr, wlc etc). Each hit happens to be a separte tcpip connection (or can
> be,
> if the webserver is not using persistent connection in the netscape sense).
>
> If persistent connection (with say https) from a client, the scheduler
> sees many tcpip connections and schedules them as if they all part of
> the same "scheduled item".
>
> What I'm looking for is a term to describe the thing/atom/event that counts
> as event and that increments the ActiveConn (or InActConn) counter
> in a row in the output of `ipvsadm`

        May be simply "connection". For for persistence the
term "session" containing many connections can explain the
client-real server talks, something like "transaction" :)

> Joe

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>